Patient of Colorado Midwives
Scheduled to deliver at PSLMC
I understand that things have to change sometimes, but these are my wishes for how I would like birth to go.
- I would like to be free to walk around during labor.
- I wish to be able to move around and change position at will throughout labor.
- I would like to be able to have fluids by mouth throughout the .
- I will be bringing my own music to play during labor.
- I do not want an IV unless I become dehydrated.
- I do not wish to have continuous fetal monitoring unless it is required by the condition of My Daughter.
- I do not want an internal monitor unless My Daughter has shown some sign of distress.
- If labor is not progressing, I would like to have the amniotic membrane ruptured before other methods are used to augment labor.
- I would prefer to be allowed to try changing position and other natural methods (walking, nipple stimulation) before Pitocin is administered.
- I realize that many pain medications exist. I’ll ask for them if I need them.
- Unless absolutely necessary, I would like to avoid a Cesarean.
- I would like My Husband present at all times if My Daughter requires a .
- I would prefer not to have an episiotomy unless absolutely required for My Daughters safety.
- I am hoping to protect the perineum. I am practicing ahead of time by squatting, doing Kegel exercises and perineal massage.
- I would appreciate guidance in when to push and when to stop pushing so the perineum can stretch.
- If possible, I would like to use perineal massage to help avoid the need for an episiotomy.
- I would like a local anesthetic to repair a tear or an episiotomy.
- I would like to be allowed to choose the position in which I give birth, including squatting.
- I would like My Husband and/or nurses to support me and my legs as necessary during the pushing stage.
- I would like a mirror available so I can see My Daughters head when it crowns.
- Even if I am fully dilated, and assuming My Daughter is not in distress, I would like to try to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase.
- I would like to have My Daughter placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery.
Immediately After Delivery
- I would like to have My Husband cut the cord.
- I would prefer that the stop pulsating before it is clamped/cut.
- I would like to hold My Daughter while I deliver the placenta and any tissue repairs are made.
- I would like to have My Daughter evaluated and bathed in my presence, if at all possible.
- If My Daughter must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, My Husband or some other person I designate will accompany her at all times.
- After the birth, I would prefer to be given a few moments of privacy to urinate on my own before being catheterized.
- Unless required for health reasons, I do not wish to be separated from my baby.
- I would like to have My Daughter “room in” and be with me at all times.
- I plan to breastfeed My Daughter and would like to begin nursing very shortly after birth.
- Unless medically necessary, I do not wish to have any bottles given to My Daughter (including glucose water or plain water).
- I would like to meet with a lactation consultant.
- I would like to take still photographs during labor and the birth.
- I would like to make a videorecording of labor and/or the birth.
- My support person(s) is/are my Husband and I would like them to be present during labor and/or delivery.